My mother tried this recipe recently and even the boys in the family enjoyed it. You can either make these as full sized muffins or as smaller minis. The recipe called these "cupcakes" but we couldn't bring ourselves to call them that. But they are tastily perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack with some fruit.
Mini Carrot Apple Muffins
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp of almond flour (if nut allergy, can substitute flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tbsp plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 grated carrot
- 3 tbsp dried currants
- 6 tbsp nonfat honey flavored Greek yogurt
1. Heat oven to 350F and line 12 mini muffin cups with baking cups. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
2. In another bowl, whisk together the egg, apple juice concentrate, plain yogurt, oil and vanilla. Stir egg mixture into the flour mixture; add carrots and currants, stirring to combine.
3. Fill each baking cup with 1 tbsp of batter. Bake 12 minutes or until toothpick inserted into muffin at center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes and then place on cooling rack to complete cooling.
4. When ready to serve, top muffin with honey flavored yogurt.
*Note, we found that muffins are best stored in plastic container shortly after coming out of the oven to keep moist.
Makes: 12 servings
Per muffin: 76 cal (2g protein and 1g fiber)