Wednesday, April 23, 2014

DIY Cake Plate

A few weeks ago, I was visiting my local thrift store when I came across a beautiful candle holder. It was a bit beat up but very inexpensive (a piddley $4) and I immediately thought of trying my hand at a homemade cake plate. These are all over Pinterest and even the consignment bridal store that I have visited a number of times has shelves of these. It is a wonderful way to give your appetizers or desserts some elevation and provides a stunning visual effect. The entire project cost me a total of $8!

Supplies:
  • Candlestick with flat top
  • Old, thrifted or newly purchased plate
  • Hot glue or gorilla glue
  • Spray paint, if needed
  • Painter's tape, if needed
*Note: Make sure the plate and candlestick are proportional so that you don't have any tipping misfortunes!

Directions:
  1. Start by painting your candlestick. I used painter's tape to cover the pretty glass piece on my candlestick. I then spray painted two coats of gold paint.
  2. After paint dried, I took a hot glue gun and generously used the glue on the top of the candlestick before carefully securing the plate on the top.
  3. Add extra glue as needed and allow to dry.



No comments:

Post a Comment