It's always nice to have a rice recipe in your back pocket, one that extends beyond just basic rice. This Mexican Rice recipe would be a great accent to any dish, like chicken. It's a great pairing because the flavoring isn't so dominant that it would take over the meal. It's also relatively quick and I like knowing what I'm adding to the dish compared to the prepackaged rice sides. The packaged rice sides have the benefit of being speedy, but this cooks quickly too and has one up in the flavor department. Pretty sure the cheese rounds off the dish, so no skimping in that department! There's just something special about Mexican food, and this mexi rice, accented with something like lime chicken, will satisfy the palate. Paula Deen might not be Mexican, but she sure nailed this recipe.
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20 min
2 tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups long grain rice
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups water (lil more)
1 (14 1/2 oz) can diced tomatoes with chilies (Ro-tel)
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup shredded cheddar
1) In a large saucepan melt the butter over medium heat.
2) Add rice, onion, peppers and garlic. Cook rice til browned and vegetables are tender.
3) Stir in water, tomatoes, chili powder and salt. Bring it to a boil.
4) Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the rice is tender. Takes 15-20 minutes.
5) Stir in cheese and serve.