Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Musings about Engagement

When choosing to blog with another person, make sure it is someone who is understanding and who you can be open and honest with. I am lucky to work and write with someone who is both. Marie is a gem... especially with me struggling to find time to write the past few weeks amidst crazy wedding planning and the pressure of a new job. On top of it all, she threw me a gorgeous bridal shower! Check out her beautiful work at the Lovebirds post.

I have been wanting to write a few thoughts about engagement and waiting, since I am living in that world at the moment. Being engaged is a special but odd time in your life. You have said "yes" to forever with someone and still, you haven't quite yet. You are planning a huge party for your family and friends on top of finding a new place to live, talking about merging things bank accounts, navigating a whole new family you are going to be a part of and many other everyday life details. I sometimes find myself frustrated that I am fully ready to move forward...but have a few more months to wait and some important vows to make first.


However, that being said, it is also an incredibly special and exciting time. While my fiance might not readily admit it, there is something awesome about making a bunch of decisions in a matter of hours. Talk about feeling productive! We have had numerous people shocked at how "fast" we are getting married. There will be eight months between the time we got engaged and the time we will be married. My response is, "I don't know how people wait longer!" My sweet fiance's response is, "Well, my future wife is an event planner." Have I said Keeper enough?? This has been a great time to continue to grow our friendship and relationship. There is always room for improvement, growth and continued love.


At the end of the day, each couple does it differently for their own reasons. Just this past weekend, our cousin Megan was married after about a year and a half of engagement. It was beautiful and very much a wedding modeled after the bride and groom. It doesn't get much better.


As I reflect on the times ahead, I am grateful for the craziness. I enjoy being on the go, coffee in hand and calendar at my side. I have learned a lot about myself and my husband-to-be over the past few months of being an engaged couple. Reflecting on the past six years and even just the past six months, I often think about one of my favorite country songs:


We'll look back someday at this moment and I'll look to you and say, 'and I thought I loved you then.'

As much as I have enjoyed "fiancee," I am ready to graduate to Mrs. Murphy in 66 days!




No comments:

Post a Comment