Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Green Beans & Tomato Dish

A few years ago I confess that I would not have been eating this dish.  At best you might get me to eat a few bites.  I was one of those annoying picky eaters.  Luckily as I've aged I've come to at least tolerate and sometimes enjoy the occasional vegetable.  My theory is my taste buds must be dying, which is likely my body's coping mechanism to get me to eat more veggies.  Or, maybe not?  Any biologists out there want to toss in theories?

Anyways, I greatly enjoyed this green bean and tomato dish, probably because there was bacon and onion, yum.  We served it for a Thanksgiving side dish like the Pioneer Woman says she does for her family Thanksgiving.  The dish requires little attention once you get started.  A great side if you have lots of food to manage cooking. 

Another plus is it doesn't have too much flavor that it would detract or contradict the other components of the meal.  Bad thing is the juices, which make it good, run all over the plate into the other helpings.  I know some of you are cringing just thinking about that.  It was concluded that we liked the dish, but would enjoy it more with pork chops or chicken.  With those entrees the juice would only add to the flavor of the meat.  Definitely will serve this easy veggie dish again, perhaps just not on Thanksgiving.

Green Beans & Tomatoes Dish
Pioneer Woman

Servings: 10
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook 1 hr 10 minutes

Ingredients
-2 lbs fresh green beans, trimmed
-8 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
-1 large onion, chopped
-3 14.5 oz cans whole tomatoes & juice
-Salt and Pepper
-Cayenne Pepper

Directions
1. Add the bacon to a large Dutch oven and cook over medium heat until lightly golden.
2. Drain off the excess fat, and then add the onions.
3. Cook until the bacon and onions are golden brown.
4. Add the green beans and tomatoes to the pan.
5. Sprinkle in salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste.
6. Stir gently to combine, and then cover the pot and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment