No matter what time of year, it's always smart to have some quick appetizers recipes in your back pocket. You never know when you will need them for a holiday party, summer barbecue or other scrumptious get together. The trick is finding a few that are flavorful, light and maybe even healthy! With a some inspiration from my bacon-loving fiance, I customized a recipe for caprese sticks and it had been a hit at every party that I have brought them too. They definitely meet the standards of light, healthy and very, very tasty!!
Caprese Bacon Skewers
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Cherry tomatoes, cut in half with inside seeds scrapped out
- Mozzarella balls (small) or large ball/block cut into half inch chunks
- Basil leaves, if large leaves, cut in half
- Half package of bacon, fried or cooked
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- Toothpicks or small wooden skewers
1. Cut tomatoes in half and scrape out the seeds inside.
2. Cut mozzarella if not already in prepped balls.
3. Cook bacon and then cut into half inch chunks.
4. Let balsamic boil before letting simmer for a few minutes on medium. Should come to a nice, thick consistency.
5. Wash and cut basil leaves if needed.
6. Using the toothpicks, begin creating skewers as desired. For visual color, I put the cheese on top, then the bacon, followed by the basil leaf and finally, the cherry tomato. I placed the cut half of the tomato on the bottom so that the skewers would sit nicely on the plate.
7. Once balsamic has cooled, drizzle over the skewers. Refrigerate until serving.
Another fun idea: skewer fruit onto small toothpicks and cover with chocolate. See the banana split bites post for directions on how to make those sweet and tasty dessert skewers!