Thursday, November 21, 2013

Cirque Du Soleil

I was lucky enough to be able to attend the traveling Cirque Du Soleil show, Amaluna, when it was stopped in Minneapolis this fall.  

Cirque has been on my bucket list for some time. I've always known that I would be fascinated by the costumes, music and crazy acrobatics that the company is famous for. I was not disappointed! Amaluna is roughly based around Shakespear's The TempestOne the finest acts featured the Moon Goddess, who did aerial tricks only using a large ring. She was incredibly graceful and made every movement look effortless. The other act that I loved was the Goddess of Balance. She picked up an entire pile sticks and balanced them one by one in her hands, making a sort of bone-like structure. At one point, she balanced the entire structure, which was at least 15 feet long, on her head. In the final moments, she balanced the structure on the largest stick and finally pulled out one small stick to make the whole thing collapse. You could have heard a pin drop in the audience as no wanted to breathe for fear of distracting the performer and making her drop a stick!



The costumes, masks and makeup were all dazzling. I am a big sucker for glitter and makeup so I was fascinated by the work that went into each character. I learned that each performer is trained on how to apply their own makeup by a professional before going on tour and most spend an average of two hours on their makeup before each performance. The show had a subtle peacock theme which was absolutely not lost on me. The lights and backdrop had peacock coloring and there was even a peacock character with a large fan-able tail. The production really seemed to be a well-oiled machine of beauty and mystery.

The show had me hooked at every moment and I am already counting down until my next Big Top Tent Cirque event! If you have the chance to see a Cirque show either a traveling or Vegas flagship show, I highly recommend it!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment