Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Ancestry Collage

Collages are a big thing right now.  When it comes to photos I've always been a fan of taking and displaying lots of pictures. Growing up my room was overloaded with decorative frames, and in college I would cover closet space, desk space, bulletin board space with friend and family pictures. Now that I have my own place, that hasn't changed at all. I wish I had more space, but for now I settle with changing out certain photo collages as the seasons change.

One set of photos that I wouldn't be changing out is this ancestry collage wall! My mom has had this displayed in their dining room for years. A great mix of history, family, and vintage, this ancestry wall is a fabulous idea for dining or living rooms.  This has always been a conversation piece, and inspires lots of story sharing.  People always enjoy looking at family traits and seeing what traits have remained through the generations. Pretty fun to see who looks like who, especially for those great-grandparents and great-great-grandparents you might not have had the chance to be blessed with meeting.

A fan of history and ancestry this decoration is something I can't wait to be given in a few years. Already I have planned who else I'll be adding to the wall now that my husband and I are married. Currently the wall showcases my grandparents on both sides, great-grandparents, and great-great grandparents.  Soon I'll be adding both Dave and my parents to the mix. And don't forget Dave's grandparents too!

It's a cinch to make; the difficult part being able to obtain old family photos. But once you find them, it's much more fulfilling to be displaying them in your family home then letting them sit in an old photo album!  My mom decided to take the route of finding very similar colored frames, which considering the black and white or sepia photos the black detailed frames make the photos POP! It may be hard to tell from the photos, but each frame has intrinsic details that when viewed closer add more interest then just solid black frames. Plus, fits the inspired vintage look!

Just a recommendation, on the back of the copied/original photos make sure you label who is who.  When you start to get into the older generations it can be difficult to remember, and that's something you don't want to forget. So start compiling those family photos! 

This Thanksgiving and holiday season is the perfect time to connect with family, reminisce and gather some family history to display in your home all year round!

No comments:

Post a Comment