Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The Help

I know that I am a bit behind the times on this one but I was able to read The Help while sitting by the beach and pool during my honeymoon with my husband this past week. I was borrowing my mom's kindle and was happy to see that she had the book downloaded already. I had seen the movie shortly after it came out in 2011 but much of story was hazy.

The Help is written from the viewpoint of three women, two who are black housemaids and one who is an educated white woman in the 1960s. They ban together to write a book about maids in the south during the heated time of civil rights. There are times that you can love a character and the next chapter, hate them. It tells the incredible story of women and how even with great differences, there is always some common ground.

The book is an easy read and beautiful in so many ways. It helped to put such a rough but amazing time into a realistic light. I loved this book, couldn't put it down!

"Wasn't that the point of the book? For women to realize, we are just two people. Not that much separates us. Not nearly as much as I'd thought."
-Kathryn Stockett, The Help

No comments:

Post a Comment