Monday, September 15, 2014
Avocado Corn Salad
Corn and Avocado Salad
Prep time: 30 min Cook time: 5 min
4 ears of corn, shucked (2 lrg cans of corn)
4 ripe avocados, seeded, peeled & 1/2 inch diced
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 pints grape tomatoes, sliced in 1/2 lengthwise
2 red bell pepper (skip if not a fan)
1 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup jalapeno peppers, seeded & minced
1 lime, zested
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 cup good olive oil
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
1) In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the corn for 3 minutes until the starchiness is gone. Drain, and place the corn in ice water to stop the cooking process.
2) When the corn is cool, cut the kernels off the cob, cutting close to the cob, and place in a large bowl. * Easy way to bi-pass the first 2 steps...use canned corn. Still delicious and no effort!
3) Toss the avocados with the lemon juice and add to the bowl with the corn.
4) Add the tomatoes, red peppers, onion, jalapeno peppers and lime zest to your bowl.
5) Whisk the lime juice, olive oil, 2 tsp salt, pepper, garlic and cayenne pepper together in a small bowl and pour over the vegetables.
6) Toss well. Keep it refrigerated until ready to serve.
Other great salads to whet your summer appetite:
Strawberry Chicken Salad
Watermelon Arugula Salad
Pioneer Pasta Salad
Buffalo Chicken Salad
Check out our Market Inspirations for Summer