Saturday, December 5, 2015

Holiday Read: Chronicles of Narnia

The writings of C.S. Lewis are always enjoyable this time of year.  His messages of faith, and what it means to be a Christian serve as valuable reminders in this holiday season.  Below are a few of my favorite quotes:

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you."

"The Son of God became a man to enable men to become sons of God."

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." 

 "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."

"There are far better things ahead than any we leave behind."

"In your world I have another name... you must learn to know me by that name.  This is the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there." -Aslan

His series, The Chronicles of Narnia, I thought were definitely worth mentioning as a must read series.  Consider them when gift giving this December.  You could also pair the books with the few movies that are out, so that after the children read the books they can also watch them!  What makes these books great is younger children can read them with their parents, and can prompt good discussions.  Of course, more avid elementary and middle school readers wouldn't need parent involvement, therefore watching the movies would allow the family to make connections together between C.S. Lewis's stories and his faith.

So this holiday season consider grabbing a copy, or the whole series of The Chronicles of Narnia, and share the experience of being transported into another world.

No comments:

Post a Comment