Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Apple Roses Recipe


Fall is the best season of all! Pumpkin everything, sweater weather, hot coffee, scarves and apple picking are always on the autumn to-do list. I also really enjoy fall baking with fresh apples or some delicious pumpkin spice. My in-laws kindly shared some of their backyard apples with us recently and I had just enough to bake a little apple dish. I have seen this Apple Rose recipe floating around my social media feeds the last couple of weeks and decided to try it for myself. It looked easy enough and had a short ingredient list. There were definitely some bumps along the way but hopefully, anyone who tries this can learn from my struggles!

Apple Roses Recipe

Ingredients:
- 1 package of puff pastry (2 sheets, thawed)
- 1/3 cup of apricot preserves
- Cinnamon
- 1/2 lemon (squeezed for the juice)
- 5 smaller backyard apples or 3 large grocery/orchard apples
*Note: As I mention below, I would suggest using larger apples.
- Powered sugar as a garnish


Directions:
1. Start by cutting all of your apples into halves and then into thin slices.


2. Place apple slices into a bowl. Add water and lemon juice from half a lemon. Microwave the apples 5 minutes or until they are soft and bendable.

*Note: This look some trial and error. Just make sure the apples are soft enough so you can roll them later. When the apples were finally cooked long enough, they were slightly translucent.



3. In another bowl, place 1/3 cup of apricot preservatives and 1/4 cup of warm water. Stir until smooth.

4. Lay out the puff pastry and use a rolling pin to stretch and flatten the dough. Use a pizza cutter to cut five strips per pastry sheet.

5. Take a spoonful of the preservatives and place in the middle of the dough. Then carefully place a layer of apple strips at the top of the pastry strip.


6. Sprinkle cinnamon along the apples edge. Then carefully fold up the bottom of the pastry strip to meet the top. Your apples should peek up over the folded strip.


7. Begin to roll one end of the strip to the other until you have a pinwheel that looks like a rose.

*Note: This was a bit of a struggle for me. Because I used small apples, my apple slices kept wiggling loose while I was wrapping it. Next time, I will try using larger apples to help the pieces stay in place.




8. Place the apple roses in a greased muffin pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.


9. Garnish with a little powered sugar and enjoy your warm treats!



I appreciate that these delicious pastries are very tasty without loads of added sugar. These would be darling for a bridal shower, girls night or a fall get together. I'd love to hear your feedback on the recipe you try them! Bon appetite!!

No comments:

Post a Comment